Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Literary Correction: Not Quite "There"


What I love most about my literary life is knowing people who will correct me. Writer Mark Haile read through my blog and saw my post on "Literary Oakland" (11/13/05). I wrote that Gertrude Stein (left) insulted Oakland, stating, "There's no there there."

Mark e-mailed me this...

"About that Gertrude Stein quote: it's famously out of context, (although San Franciscans take great delight in repeating it) as it was actually from a visit she made to her childhood home, where she was dismayed to see that it had been torn down (it's now in downtown Oakland). She had written much from memory about her happy childhood spent there, and was shocked to discover there was not a physical trace of her childhood left."

1 comment:

DigitalProfitz said...

What would we do if we didn't have each other?