Thursday, March 02, 2006

Literary Clothes



I feel like I've been writing intense things lately. What with all the talk of death and lunar cycles and name calling and such. So, this post is pure fluff.

I've been preoccupied with clothes. More importantly, literary clothes. Maybe this has something to do with the fact I watch Project Runway when I can't write anything worth mentioning. Now, having hosted litarary events at Skylight for five years, I've seen writers wear all sorts of things (biker jacket, Rick Moody; tuxedo shirt over jeans, Dave Kipen; black turtle neck, Bernard Cooper; Polo button down and kacki's, James Ellroy).

Two items that I'm saving up for: a tweed coat and black leather blazer. One says classic writer, the other says sophisticated writer. What do you think makes up a literary look?

5 comments:

fred said...

My literary look; haggard, sleep-deprived yet over-caffeinated, mumbling bits of dialogue to myself on the subway while mothers keep their children from me. But nevertheless fabulously attired.

Paul Bens, Author of "Kelland" said...

Leather, baby. Leather.

Cheryl said...

I like the checked jacket. It's more Santino-esque.

circuitmouse said...

I had two herringbone tweed sportcoats, one in brown and one grey, that I lost in the fire I had back in '98. They were like my lucky writer jackets. They even had the cool leather patches on the elbows. Of course, now that I'm living on a writer's income, I can't afford to replace them. Noel is lucky, though, he's got that twinkly eye and engaging smile that will guarantee that the audience probably won't remember what he was wearing.

Jamie Asaye FitzGerald said...

hmmm... I'll go in with Cheryl and choose the Magritte plaid, although I have a personal preference leather and exotic earrings. Somehow, I don't think you'd go for the earrings.