Monday, February 25, 2008

Literary Chopsticks


I heard a piece on the radio on how the Chinese are encouraging people to bring their own chopsticks. The wooden chopsticks found in restaurants were leading to massive deforestation. I got to thinking and these sentences came out of me. Beginnig of a short story, no?

"Cesar Wong was a pretentious fuck. He carried his own chopsticks to use in whatever restaurant he ate in. The chopsticks were bone white. He said they belonged to Genghis Khan and were made from the femurs of an enemy killed in battle."

5 comments:

Jill said...

Wow, when do we get the next installment? I'm hooked. This is what I want to learn!

Peter Varvel said...

Good tip for us tree huggers--I'll probably start doing this! I no longer get the plastic bags at the supermarket because it makes dolphins and whales sick and/or dead.

fred said...

I use my own chopsticks only at home so as not to offend. But mine were a gift from Auntie Goldstein so they work right to left.

Liz Dwyer said...

I hate Cesar Wong already!

And who would've thought chopsticks could cause deforestation?

Sundry said...

Yup. I would certainly read the rest of that story! I remember hearing this when I was in China about a decade ago. Also, some of my mom's students told her that you want to take your own chopsticks because the factories where the wooden ones are made may not be held to very high cleanliness standards. (Feel free to let Ceasar riff on that if he so desires.)