Monday, May 07, 2007

Literary Filipinos


I met with members of a Filipino American Fiction class at UC Irvine and read at the Filipino American Library, where I was filmed for a section on the Filipino Channel. My question is: Where were these literary Filipinos when I was growing up?


I searched high and low in the stack of the Central Library--the biggest one we've got--for Filipino/a stuff. I think I found a play written in the 1920's buried somewhere in the stacks.


I hope this trend continues. There's a part of me that likes to think that my work is needed somehow. I feel that I'm part of a new group of writers creating a strong sense of community.
(And, yes, the photo is an actual product. Filipinos are cookies sold by that colonial force known as Spain. They may come up with mints called The Jews and chips called the Blacks.)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

there's just something about a cylinder shaped chocolate bar called Filipinos that's not quite right ...

Liz Dwyer said...

You are clearly a huge role model and that is definitely needed. You're inspiring lots of people to let their voices be heard. And those cookies are crazy. People eat those every day and probably don't even think twice about what they represent. That's worse than Aunt Jemima syrup bottles.

Cheryl said...

Hell yeah, your work is needed! If for no other reason than to prove that Filipinos are more than cookies. (Although as a quarter-Jew, I'd totally buy Jew Mints.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, where can I get those cookies? That is wild! As an aspiring Filipino writer myself, you inspire me. Keep up the great work! How would you feel about being interviewed by me through email for a startup website for which I am the editor? (sfgam.com)

Anonymous said...

In high school, I was an aspiring Filipino literary wonder myself. It wasn't until this other devastatingly cute filipino guy who was named after a christmas greeting came about and stole my crown.

Kidding, of course. Noel, I've lost contact with you. Why haven't you been down here in San Diego promoting your latest book. We need to get together for some kare-kare one of these days.

Former "Master of the [Miss] Universe"....Mark A.