Saturday, September 30, 2006

Literary Coming of Age

I'm a sucker for coming-of-age stories. I wrote my first book so I could explore the growing process of a gay Filipino kid. I'm not through with this topic. There's a little bit of that in my second book. Let's face it, childhood haunts me and I often wonder how we make it through those tough and tender years.

This evening I saw a cinematic coming-of-age story of a gay Filipino kid in "The Blossoming of Maximo Oliveros." Nathan Lopez (right) as Maximo is simply wonderful. This charming movie has been getting great reviews from the Los Angeles Times to the New York Times. Friends from the Philippines were telling me about this flick for some time now. It unflinchingly looks at the life of this FABULOUS boy amidst the poverty and corruption of The Philippines. The locales in the film will not be seen in Philippine tourist manuals anytime soon. This boy's soul flies regardless of the circumstances surrounding him. If it's playing in your town, go quickly.

3 comments:

Clayman said...

Ey Noel! It's great to know you got to watch this film, and that you enjoyed it. I saw it for the second time around last night with a friend.

Hope all is well. Take care. :)

marC said...

i can't wait to see this movie.

fred said...

Thanks for the review. I've been reading about this in the local papers for a bit and it's gotten fairly positive press. I'll have to see it with my Manilla posse.