Sunday, October 01, 2017

Reading "Faith" - Part Two


It’s been a real pleasure reading about older kids and how they think.  When I was going through my early grades, I remember believing I was alone, but not lonely.  My siblings had cousins to go to school with, but I didn’t. I spent most of that time playing alone. I wondered how that affected my adult view.  I don’t mind being alone, as a writer that’s part of what I need to do.  However, I wonder what would have been different if I had a bunch of kids around me.
I wasn’t the most social child.  Up until third grade I had one friend—we played chess during recess.  She might be considered “slow.”  I went through bussing, and interestingly enough, I think I discovered social skills from that time.  Kids from the inner city were bussed into the suburbs and vice versa.  I was one of the kids from the inner city and going into the suburbs, I bonded with other kids from my school.  There was a sense of Us vs. them mentality. 
Race is still an important issue to me and I’m sure that time had left an indelible impression on me.  I think the teachers at the time did their best with what they knew.  I wondered how we would have treated this issue today.

No comments: