Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Literary Voice

Last night, I spoke to the new group of Emerging Voices fellows at PEN Center USA West. My collegue Jenoyne Addams and I have done Author Nights with them for the past several years. I do this because eleven years ago, I was an Emerging Voice.

The writer's life is hard. It's filled with insecurity and fear. However, I wouldn't trade it for anything. Somewhere in this life is the satisfaction of creativity and the belief that I'm doing something to help the world somehow.

1 comment:

Cheryl said...

And writing is really fun too! We keep that a secret sometimes, even from ourselves, but spending an afternoon making up stories is like being a kid on a playground. So what if we earn about the same amount of money that we did when we were kids on playgrounds?