Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Literary Mexico

I'd been in Mexico for a week now. And loving it. I can't believe that I'd never been here before. I first visited the Historic District. This museum is called Collegio de San Ildefonso. It's the place where Frida Kahlo first saw Diego Rivera painting. You can see the murals behind the columns.
This is a painting on the ceiling of San Ildefonso. It's of Cortes and La Malinche. She apparently became a mistress to Cortes and helped him conquer Mexico. She's seen to some as a traitor to her people.

With the conquering of Mexico, old Aztec temples were torn down and replaced by ornate churches like this one. The city recognizes this horrible deed and has windows outside of the cathedral showing the holy land under this holy land.

2 comments:

Peter Varvel said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for posting
Is there more?

Don Cummings said...

OH MAN! How great! I've only ever been to "beachy" Mexico. I'd love to see the culture culture culture. Yes, that's three cultures in a row.
Glad you're there!