Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Literary Restlessnessessess



I'd been dealing with restless nights, waking at 4am. I have a lot on my mind, including work and deadlines.

I have also been tossing and turning over my novels. Oh, I need to promote the published ones, oh, I've got to work on the new one.

My third book has been keeping me wondering. I think one of the reasons I kept starting it over is because I don't know what I am trying to say.

I went running this morning and I think the themes came to me. This book is about faith and disease. When plague comes, one's resolve eithers strengthens or weakens. I think of AIDS and how many people were put to the test, to become better Christians, Jews, Buddhists, Moslems. Many failed (and are still failing). There were those few, however, who gave hope.

This, I think, is what my third novel is about to explore.

6 comments:

Cephas said...

Dear Noel... that sounds like a powerful premise. I think you are right. It's a choice as to whether we respond in positive or negative ways. What is it about us that forms that choice? Can we change that choice at some point, or are we destined one way or another? There's a lot to explore there for sure. Bless ya!
Peter
http://peedub.com

Cephas said...

Noel, I keep thinking about this theme. It can be very subtle. Sometimes people who seem to be positive and have faith are really in denial, they're not dealing with the reality. There are those who have a quiet faith, an acceptance of what is, a surrender to inevitability. That may be more real than someone who defaults to a particular religion to "get them through." I'm rambling, but there are a lot of subtle shades in those "two choices" of being strong/hopeful or giving up.

Cheers!
Peter
http://peedub.com

(PS. Thanks for your comment on my blog... you are definitely on my "classic" list!

Liz Dwyer said...

That is such a fascinating theme. There can be those that look physically well but are truly sick spiritually and vice versa. I like it. And you are so right about how folks who thought they were spiritually "correct" failed so miserably when AIDS came along.

Hope you sleep better soon though.

Sundry said...

Sounds like the work is nudging you out of your comfort zone. As erm, uncomfortable as that can be, it probably means you're on the right track. (She says, tripping the edges of her own comfort zone far too lightly.)

Here's a quote I came across recently...

"Like a magnatized needle floating on a surface of oil, Resistance will unfailingly point to true north—meaning that calling or action it most wants to stop us from doing.

"We can use this. We can use it as a compass. We can navigate by Resistance, letting it guide us to that calling or action we must follow before all others.

"Rule of thumb: The more important a call or action is to our soul’s evolution, the more Resistance we will feel towards pursuing it."

Steven Pressfield in The War of Art.

Don Cummings said...

Sounds like a great theme. Being that life is all about building faith (in all its forms) is so essential and universal. And ultimately, that's the only joyful ride.

Anonymous said...

Noel,
Great evening last night, thank you!
Good to see you,
Keep writing!