Saturday, February 10, 2007

Literary Satisfaction


I FINALLY saw a live production of Edward Albee's Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? It's one of my favorite plays and I'd been waiting for almost twenty years! It was pretty fantastic. Kathleen Turner (right) could "bray" with the best of them. (I didn't care too much for the movie with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton.)

I went with my friend Joseph and we talked about the myth of Woolfe. The big one is the idea that the leads George and Martha were originally written as a vulgar gay couple. I'd read an article with Edward Albee who said that was untrue. He claimed the myth was created by heterosexuals who refused to believe that a straight couple can destroy each other like that. (Uh, with fifty percent of of marriages ending in divorce, I think destruction is conceivable)

1 comment:

Liz Dwyer said...

Glad you enjoyed the play! I agree, definitely conceivable. I think somebody would have to have either skipped the Shakespeare from high school to believe hetero couples can't destroy each other in the most malicious ways or else they never pick up US Weekly and Star.