Thursday, July 27, 2006

Literary Refusal


I can't do this anymore. I can't be cheap about my work. I was asked to perform for almost nothing. I'd even have to pay my own airfare. When I was younger, I jumped at the chance to perform--anywhere. I was thrilled that someone--anyone--wanted to hear my words and watch me perform. Now, I know the time, effort, and money it takes to put on a show. In some venues, the fee offered would only have covered the cost of materials. I've had to say No to venues because it simply wasn't cost efficient for me to perform. In some cases, I'd lost money from my own pocket.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good for you. Don't sell your skill and talent cheap. You have spent too much time and money to get to the level you are now. That's worth something. Selling yourself short provides you with nothing, but frustration and a reduced value of self.

Sundry said...

You are absolutely right. It's a good thing to know for yourself, that you are at this point.

Folks, I've seen his shows, and he's worth the price of admission.

mr jp said...

it's like paying to perform ... hmm.
not good , not good.

circuitmouse said...

We all know artists who have been generous above and beyond the karmic call of duty...
and someshow they're the ones who seem to get royally shafted if they just 'donate' their time & sweat equity to others without any sort of quid pro pro. You have moved up the scale of Established Artists to the point where you have every right to decide what is your proper compensation.

Clayman said...

In Tagalog gay speak...

"nagtataray ang Noel..."

Hehe!

Cheryl said...

Sandra Tsing Loh had some smart words on this subject in The Atlantic--I think it was in response to a letter in response to one of her book reviews. It's worth Googling.

Prince Gomolvilas said...

Will you come perform in my bedroom for free?