Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Literary Move to the Screen

I saw the movie Narnia, based on work by CS Lewis. It's the third book to movie experience I'd had recently. ("Harry Potter" and "Memoirs of a Geisha" being the others) The book has been around for quite some time, but it wasn't until recently that we had the technology to carry off the kind of effects needed to tell this story. The movie was spectacular.

I was thrilled to see Tilda Swinton's (pictured) name flash across the screen. I'd been a fan of hers for such a long time. I first saw her in "Orlando" and was awed by a fashion spread she did in Vanity Fair. She's one of the few actresses who not only looks aristocratic but IS aristocratic (her father is a knight).

4 comments:

fred said...

Just caught The Chronicles of Narnia this past Saturday. Absolutely amazing! An animated version was done in the late 80's but this was far more satisfying and very faithful to the book.

Cheryl said...

Time Magazine did a Books vs. Movies article that covered all three of those. You can see how your opinions compare to theirs at http://www.time.com/time/archive/preview/0,10987,1134742,00.html.

Bob Hoeppner said...

Yeah, Tilda was the best part of the movie for me. She's hot in a really cool way. And, she's only something like three years younger than me.

Clayman said...

I can't wait to watch Narnia!!!

It'll hit cinemas here in Manila this January and I'm sure a lot of people would be lining up at moviehouses to catch it.

Cheers!