Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Literary Peony

Some time ago, I mentioned that I was up for a literary award with the Southern California Independent Book Association. The nominees included TC Boyle, Salvador Placencia, Lisa See, me, and the legendary Ray Bradbury.


The awards dinner was on Saturday. The award went to...Lisa See for her novel Peony in Love. Congrats!


It was a most enjoyable evening. It was at the Biltmore in downtown. Many authors were gathered for dinner at 6pm., then we were asked to mingle with the booksellers, then table hop while the booksellers had thier dinner.


We were ordered to be nice to the booksellers. We were told one story of an author who yelled at a bookseller from Booksoup in West Hollywood. The store pulled the author's work from their shelves. Alas, I'd heard this story in different forms. I heard of one store pulling a rude author's book and telling customers that her work was no longer in print. Ouch! Always be nice to the bookseller.

7 comments:

Don Cummings said...

Booksellers! We love ye!

Prince Gomolvilas said...

Oh, Noel, don't pretend to be so gracious and happy for her. It's okay to shake your fists at the heavens and scream, "Damn you, Lisa See! Damn you!"

Liz Dwyer said...

Prince Gomolvilas' comment made me laugh so hard that I've now forgotten what it was I had planned to say.

Glad you had a good time though.

mr jp said...

i didnt know booksellers are *that* influential ... don't mess with them !

congrats on the nomination i guess ...

Sundry said...

As Dana said when I read him your entry, "He should be right in his element there!" You are a charmer, and I'll bet they were all impressed with your grace.

Wonderful nomination!

Joe said...

The exceptional quality of your work is in no way diminished by this. You're here for the long run, and I'm looking forward to the next novel with great anticipation.

Frederick Smith said...

Congrats on the nomination.

And yeah, we should always be nice to booksellers. I can't imagine not being nice. Hmmm...
fs