Friday, July 21, 2006

Literary Time Management



Earlier this year, I hoped to finish a draft of a novel by December. I have a deadline for a grant in August. I look forward to doing rewrites for "Talking to the Moon" by September. I promised to submit a short story to an anthology by October. I have a few more columns to write for A&U magazine. I'm writing more than I'd ever been. However, it's still no where near full-time. I work for a nonprofit, a job I thoroughly enjoy. Sometimes, I wonder though what I could accomplish if my only job was writing.

3 comments:

Sundry said...

Sounds like you are accomplishing a great deal, Noel. It's impressive.

I wonder the same thing. My work life takes up so much of my energy and my brain-space... But it's also good to be in the working world, where you can keep in touch with what's going on in people's everyday lives.

That's what I tell myself, anyway! Actually, I think if I were in a position to write full time I might get a part time job in a coffee house or book store, to keep the social interaction going on that level.

mr jp said...

Not all authors are hermits right ?

Don Cummings said...

You produce more than most people I know. Hell, I only work on Wednesdays...and it took me forever to write my book...okay, I did write a couple of plays, too, and I did gig out, travel, blah, blah, blah, but if you didn't work full time, believe me, you wouldn't just sit there all day writing. You just get lonely and nuts and start eating paint chips.