Monday, December 21, 2009

A Feeling of Completion


I got a holiday card from my agent wishing me well. He said he hoped to see a new book from me in the new year. (Imagine me lowering my head and shaking it!) I'd been promising him a book for the last three years. I'd been focusing on a novel, but, well, I put that piece of crap away. It just wasn't working. I wasn't believing the story. If I wasn't believing it, I knew YOU wouldn't believe it. There's a plotting issue that I can't seem to rectify.


I turned my attention to short stories. It felt good tackling something that felt like I could finish. That book project was also supposed to go to my agent this year, but it looks like a January delivery. However, I feel hopeful.

5 comments:

josephine anne lin said...

I can't believe that your novel is a "piece of crap." Seriously. So the story has a plotting issue. That makes the novel a "story with a plotting issue" that otherwise has a lot of great qualities, like characters that steal your heart and sections of prose so beautiful that the reader stops and reads them out loud to her significant other. I'm just guessing based on previous work, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.

You'll solve that plotting issue when you are ready to solve it. Keep feeling hopeful!

Happy Holidays to my favorite writer.

Sundry said...

You're in the thick of it, Noel. A working writer. It never gets easy, does it? Your admirers await your words, in whatever package you choose.

the last noel said...

Aw, thanks to you both. One of the reasons I write is because people like prod me on. Left to my own devices, I'd be locked away in a room somewhere punching walls and crying.

Don Cummings said...

Thrilled you are being truthful, my man. Write-on.

Happy new Year.

Sally said...

Consider yourself prodded. You know, in the most supportive way possible. ;)