Monday, June 30, 2008

Literary Tongue

I was fortunate enough to partake in the Tongue and Groove reading series put put on by Conrad Romo (above with fellow writers Faye Lane and Catherine Griffith). I shared the stage with some great talent, including Kate Crash, Kerrie Kvashay-Boyle, and Jake Labotz.
In preparing for this, I had an interesting time. I couldn't decide what to read. I was sort of tired of reading from the novels. I didn't feel like reading from the new novel-in-progress. I considered some short stories, maybe an essay. In the end, I chose a monologue from one of my solo shows and borrowed an entry from My Finger Project, a piece written by Cheryl Klein.

As I prepared, I remembered how I didn't have much of a choice 10 years ago. I didn't have that much to choose from. To think that now I have a "Body of Work" to pull from was actually kinda cool.

I read/performed a piece from The Rice Room. I hadn't done anything from that war horse in awhile. Performing Rice Room was interesting. I was acting! Inside it felt like home. I couldn't sleep because the feeling was so familiar and exciting.
Funny, when I was a twenty year old actor, I didn't know I'd become a performance artist. When I was thirty, I only had dreams of publishing a novel. Now, that I'm forty, I wonder what I'm going to become.

4 comments:

Peter Varvel said...

A Living Legend, that's what you'll become!
The Rice Room needs to be produced again - I never got to see it!

Prince Gomolvilas said...

I know Noel because of The Rice Room. As much as I hate to admit it, IT WAS AMAZING. So much so that I felt compelled to introduce myself to him afterward. I don't do that with theater folks. But I did it for Noel. And I will never mention it again.

Cheryl said...

Thanks for reading my Finger Project piece, and sorry I wasn't there to see it or what is rumored to be a fabulous Rice Room piece!

As for your 40s...I recommend a career in the circus arts. You can never go wrong with that.

Sundry said...

Yeah, I love your performance art. I miss it. But I'm also interested in what you're doing and will do.