Thursday, December 22, 2005

Literary Heaven

I watched Barbara Walter's interview with the Dalai Lama (pictured), a show dedicated to what "Heaven" is all about. I've been thinking about the role of Heaven in books. In my next novel, the concept of life-after-death is explored.
(I purposely did not read "Lovely Bones" by Alice Sebold so I wouldn't be influenced.)

I'm wondering if there is a trend in literature where more discussion about God, Heaven, and spirituality will be seen more and more in books.

Uh, as Baby Boomers age, I'm sure more questions about what happens to us when we die will become more frequent.

5 comments:

The Blind-Winger Jones said...

Everyone seems to be posting about matters spiritual at the moment. There does seem to be a bit of a trend - could the current wobbly state of the world have something to do with it I wonder ?

Bob Hoeppner said...

I think the aging of the Baby Boomers, as well as the possibility of terrorist nuclear annihilation, is helping to prompt a questioning of whether there is a graceful something which endures beyond the grubbiness of our current situation.

the last noel said...

Yes, gentlemen, I think you're right. We're living in uncertain time, leading to art reflecting that state of mind.

Rob said...

Plus the breakdown of community and the rise of the individual.

These days people don't automatically share communal values. In fact, about the only communal value that people share is the need to work out one's own personal version of faith, belief, and spirituality (or disbelief in such things).

So people are interested in anything that engages them with regard to these issues.

mr jp said...

Heaven to me is in the heart. A collection of memories from the past , what could have been and what I wish to be.