Sunday, October 02, 2005

Literary Panels

I just left the West Hollywood Book Fair where I sat on my fourth--and last-- literary panel of the year. I forget how many people are hungry to hear how to write and how to get published.

I used to be that person who voraciously read through the LA Times and LA Weekly looking for announcements for "How To" panels: How to write better fiction; how to get published; how to promote your work. Now, I'm sitting on the other side of the table.

I do hope I say and do something useful when I "panelize." The best part of the day is running into people I haven't seen in awhile or meeting earnest young writers hoping to be the next best thing.

1 comment:

circuitmouse said...

...and contrary to popular belief that writers are isolated, tortured souls in their own personal gulags, they share their knowledge with one another --especially those eager to learn the craft.
It isn't the 80s or 90s any longer, and that fervent demand that writers of color have some special obligation to pass on their knowledge isn't what it once was. The one award the literary community has yet to create is for those who share what they know and hold the door open for whoever is following. You've certainly proven yourself worthy of the honor when they start awarding those.